The covid-19 pandemic has made home-office a necessity and a lot of unprepared people have been going bonkers on where to start with setting up a home office. Even if you are a new mum running a business, you will need to set up a home office for days when your little one needs your attention at home.
Setting up an office in your home can be quite a daunting task but if you plan it well, you can achieve it in less than a day. We have listed the 10 essentials you will need to set up a home office
- Your Computer: Of course you will need a personal laptop computer or desktop to work efficiently from home. Laptops are now available for affordable rates all around Australia, especially since the marketing of refurbished laptops is booming.
- Printer & Scanner: In order to print and review the necessary documents and send back your review, you will also need to have a printer and a scanner at your home office. You can buy refurbished printers at APS solutions for a great price.
- High Speed Internet & Router: You will also need to install a high-speed internet service at your home as well as a good router which enables cross-device connectivity. Internet speed is very important because a lot of times you will be required to conduct cloud-based audio and video meetings and attend corporate conferences and seminars where you can surely not use the bad internet excuse.
- A Desk with Drawers: A spacious desk with at least 2 drawers for keeping essentials is very important for your home office. Reserve a room for your home office and furnish it with a medium-sized desk to house all your electrical equipment including printer, scanner and of course your laptop.
- A Comfortable Office Chair: Since you are going to spend most of your time sitting in the office chair, you need to make sure you have a comfortable office chair. You can buy a pre-loved chair for a relatively lower cost from a budget store.
- Proper Lighting: Make sure you have adequate lighting in your office. Install a lamp and perhaps a roof-mounted LED light to take care of lighting needs. You can also add a few lamps or other illuminating boxes to add life to your home office.
- Voltage Control/Surge Protector: Don’t forget to buy a voltage control or surge protector to secure your electrical devices from a surge or voltage that could damage them.
- Backup Hard Drive: Also get a backup hard drive and back up your data regularly to avoid loss of crucial data in case your laptop malfunctions.
- A Power Supply Backup: Even though power outages are rare, but a fault in your electrical wiring or stormy weather could lead to a power outage. You need to have an uninterrupted power supply or a backup generator to make sure you stay connected.
- Storage Shelves: You will also need several storage shelves or drawers for your home office to keep any files and documents that you might need.